Monday, May 9, 2011

Designer Showcase Contest Week 2 Entries

Welcome to the second week of "The Party Crowd's" Designer Showcase Contest.

Please join me in congratulating our week one winner: Keepsakes By Ingrid.
I would also like to make a correction and say that her designs are available nationally.

Our two designers tonight are: Shandra Ward Signature Design Studio and Did Someone Say Party

First up: Shandra Ward Design Studio

Location: Houston, Texas

If you work locally or National: Locally, Nationally & Globally

How long in business: I have been in business since 1999

Type of business: Interior design, event design, art consulting, graphic design, publishing

Your specialty: My specialty is all things art and design.

A little background of why you got into the biz:
When I was a teenager, I would always rearrange the furniture in the house at least once a week My mom would come home from work shaking her head and smiling “Lord have mercy, this child has changed the house again.” But she never interfered whenever I had a creative tantrum, even when I painted some of the furniture. I grew up having art, design, fashion and architecture influences all around me. With a structural engineer and entrepreneur for a father, a crafty mother and a very stylish grandmother, I was continuously exposed to design.

I studied art history at Texas Southern University and soon after opened my first business, an art gallery. Soon after, I decided to pursue a career in interior design. I enrolled at the Houston Community College and later obtained an associate’s degree in interior design. After graduation, I began designing interiors for my friends and family. I developed a craving to learn more about design, so I enrolled in the interior design program at The Art Institute of Houston where I earned a Bachelor of Fines Arts Degree.

I was contracted by a local theater production company to create set designs for their plays and special events. I eagerly worked as a stylist for several boutiques creating window displays and working photo shoots for ad layouts. I soon began working as an event planner and designer creating fabulous event designs for weddings and all types of social events. To add to my multi-faceted career in design, I taught myself graphic design. (WHEEEW!)

Having an extensive background in art and design prompted me to start my own design firm, Signature Design Studio. I believe everyone should enjoy great design and it is part of my mission to make that possible. I love designing colorful and artful spaces and wanted to share my experiences with design enthusiasts, so I created Signature Style, a design and lifestyle blog site whose mission is to make decorating accessible and stylish for all. I have written on interior design, art, event design and styling for Bread & Butter Epicurean magazine and Visions of Art magazine. I currently write design, art and lifestyle articles for Examiner.com and I presently, work for an architect/engineering firm. (I am definitely a design hustler…LOL!)

From working as an art consultant to an interior designer, I have achieved a broad range of design and lifestyle experience. My feelings for design run deep in my heart, my soul and my blood. I love to create beautiful spaces that people can relate to and not feel afraid to use. Always up on the latest fashion, lifestyle and design trends, I try to incorporate design into every aspect of my life. Dramatic Modern is what I describe as my signature style. Dramatic Modern is cultural and stylish with an appreciation for classical forms and well-made functional objects injected with bold color and wild textures. My background in design was cultivated with various design influences. I’ve always admired design, and I knew whatever I decided to be when I grew up it had to be in the creative industry.


Contact Info:

Signature Design Studio
Web: www.shandraward.com
Email: snward@flash.net
Blog: www.signaturestylestudio.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shandra-Ward-Signature-Design-Studio/128765383826947
Design Column on Examiner.com: http://www.examiner.com/interior-design-in-houston/shandra-ward


Couture Confections Stylish Candy & Fine Dessert Buffets
Web: www.couture-confections.net
Email: snward@flash.net
Blog: www.couture-confections.blogspot.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Houston/Couture-Confections-Stylish-Candy-Fine-Dessert-Buffets/179257725450365

Here is some of her work:











Our Second designer is: Did Someone Say Party

Location - Denver, CO

If you work locally or National - Nationally (we are web-based)

How long in business - Just under a year

Type of business - Online retailer of handmade party packs, handmade party favors, and handmade party hats. We also run a blog with various party ideas.

Your specialty - We specialize in handmade goods for parties of any type and size - kid's birthday parties, baby/bridal showers, food exchange parties and holiday parties.

A little background of why you got into the biz - We are both working moms and love the looks of handmade party goods but know a lot of folks don't have the time to do it themselves. So we want to offer convenience in fully coordinated party packs that give them a handmade touch to their event so they can focus on their guests and the food.

Contact info:
Blog: www.didsomeonesaypartysite.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/didsomeonesayparty
Twitter: www.twitter.com/someonesayparty
Facebook: www.facebook.com/didsomeonesayparty

Here are some great pictures of their work:










Great start to another great week. Again I apoligize for this coming out so late.

Have a great nite,
Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment